Thursday, July 30, 2009

Health Watch: Target Weight 75 kilos




Last Saturday, I finally went to my aunt's clinic for a medical check-up. For the past week, I experienced headaches and gas pain in my stomach. I thought it was the usual symptoms of eating late and getting 'kabuhi' (gas pain), or it could be my eyes due to extreme eyestrain brought about by looking at the computer monitor for hours on end (hala ka...facebook) or it must the extreme weather condition, too hot one minute and rain showers the next. For two straight days, I went straight to bed upon arriving home because I can't bear the headache. Hubby ordered me to have a check-up and I said I'll go during the weekend. Thanks to his hot cups of tea, chicken soup and tender, loving care, my headache was somehow bearable.

After my preliminary check-up, I was asked to have a blood and urine test to determine the true nature of my discomfort. The test results showed that I have Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and was prescribed antibiotics. The good news is, it was just a mild case of UTI. I also found out that my weight increased to 2 kilos within 6 months. So I mentally told myself that I need to decrease my weight to 75 kilos by the end of the year.

According to the websites of Mayo Clinic and web MD, a urinary tract infection is an infection that begins in our urinary system, which is composed of the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Any part of your urinary system can become infected, but most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the urethra and the bladder.

Women are at greater risk of developing a urinary tract infection than are men. This is probably because women have shorter urethras, so it is easier for the germs to move up to their bladders. You may be more likely to get an infection if you do not drink enough fluids, have diabetes, or pregnant. The chance that you will get a bladder infection is higher if you have any problem that blocks the flow of urine from your bladder. Examples include having kidney stones or an enlarged prostate gland.

Not everyone with a urinary tract infection develops recognizable signs and symptoms, but most people have some. In general, urinary tract infection signs and symptoms develop rapidly and can include:

* A strong, persistent urge to urinate
* A burning sensation when urinating
* Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
* Blood in the urine (hematuria) or cloudy, strong-smelling urine
* Bacteria in the urine (bacteriuria)

Antibiotics prescribed by your doctor will usually cure a bladder infection. It may help to drink lots of water and other fluids and to urinate often, emptying your bladder each time. If your doctor prescribes antibiotics, take the pills exactly as you are told. Do not stop taking them just because you feel better. You need to finish taking them all so that you do not get sick again.

Thanks to Mayo Clinic and Web MD for the information. You can check out their website here and here for further information about the illness and other illnesses as well.

With strong determination and your support along with the will to live longer and healthier, may I accomplish my weight goal by the end of the year. So help me God!

No comments:

Post a Comment